I’ve been wanting to make a video for our site for a long time—just needed to muster up the courage! And this past weekend, in the name of Halloween, I did. After having a couple drinks. So, here we go. A “cooking video” that is nowhere near as chic or useful as The Homicidal Homemaker.
Have a watch below and please be kind —
Should you want it… Here’s the recipe (tweaked slightly from this caramel popcorn recipe)
– 2 bags of popped popcorn – salted
– ½ cup (1 stick) of butter
– 1 cup brown sugar
– ¼ cup corn syrup
– ¼ tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp vanilla
– Food coloring – red!
1. Preheat oven to 250
2. Pop popcorn as directed and set aside in a large bowl
3. Melt butter on stove in small saucepan. Add brown sugar and corn syrup and stir until melted. Lower heat to medium and let allow the mixture to boil (without stirring) for 4 minutes.
4. Remove the mixture from the stove and add in the remaining ingredients. Note: At this point, the food coloring is useless.
5. Lightly add the mixture to the bowl of popcorn and gently mix. Save some of the mixture.
6. Using two baking dishes (I used glass dishes), divide the popcorn stuff. Add the remaining mixture – I just scooped up blobs of the stuff to added directly on top without really stirring.
7. Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. This definitely helps to even out the caramel stuff.
8. Let the mixture cool before breaking it apart. Mine was pretty stuck to the pan.
Tip: It’s actually better a couple days after … Enjoy!
Tip #2: If you’re looking for more of a savory twist, just try adding tobacco to cooked popcorn… as once suggested to me by Scott Weinberg. Go figure.
Leave a Reply